By Ajibola Abayomi,
February 15, 2018.
Fire outbreak disrupted the sitting of senators at the National Assembly on Thursday TheLead Online gathered that a section of the technical room of the National Assembly’s Senate wing caught fire.
The fire from the technical room – SB 63 – at the ground floor, sent smoke through the air conditioning system to the chamber forcing staff and other workers to leave their offices to avoid being trapped as smoke fills up the walkways.
Senators who were initially seated in the gallery area also moved out as the technical team in the building saved the day and put out the fire.
After the scare, the Senate resumed plenary but suspended its Thursday’s sitting and adjourned to Tuesday, saying the atmosphere was not conducive.
Senator Abdullahi Gobir (Sokoto-APC) raised a point of order to lament that the chamber was not conducive for the lawmakers.
“The condition is not very conducive because our chambers are there. We engaged the contractors working in the Senate. We believe it is now Saturday they will be able to finish it,” he said.
President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, ruled that the session be adjourned while the repairs should be done over the weekend.
“What you presented to us makes sense. Definitely the chamber is not conducive for today’s s activities and as such, I would direct that we adjourn till Tuesday so that between now and the weekend the members of the services and maintenance unit can ensure that we bring the chamber into a conducive environment,” he ruled.